The City is launching CraneRIDES, a cutting-edge autonomous vehicle (AV) shuttle pilot aimed at providing an innovative, convenient and sustainable transportation alternative for people to connect to major activity centers. Residents and visitors who live, work and play in Altamonte Springs can hop on to experience the future of this emerging technology. Though Altamonte Springs is at regional crossroads where millions drive through each year, residents and visitors will now have alternatives to get around easily while saving time by avoiding congested roads or having to park multiple times. AV shuttle stops will be convenient to your destination.
In addition to providing convenience for residents and visitors, CraneRIDES also promotes sustainable economic development in the City by connecting people with businesses, residential communities and employment centers.
How It Works
The City selected Beep to operate CraneRIDES. Beep, headquartered in Lake Nona, is a provider of autonomous shared mobility solutions. This emerging transportation technology provides passengers with a safe, reliable, clean, sustainable and efficient transit option.
- Two shuttles are programmed to travel on a fixed route through Uptown Altamonte, stopping at four locations adjacent to popular shopping and recreation destinations.
- The shuttles are 100% electric and carry more passengers than a traditional automobile.
- A trained attendant rides in each shuttle to enhance the rider experience. They can answer questions, resolve technical issues and drive the vehicle with an onboard controller, if needed.
- The corridor is marked with high-visibility signage and shuttle icons painted on the pavement. The AV shuttle is restricted to streets with lower traffic flow and within the defined project area and route. The shuttles will not operate on S.R. 436 or cross over I-4.
Track the Shuttles
Track the shuttle locations in real-time with the Ride Beep app:
Uptown Altamonte Stops
- Altamonte Mall
- Renaissance Centre
- Cranes Roost
- AMC Theatre
- Sunday - Thursday | 10 a.m. - 2 p.m. & 5 - 9 p.m.
- Friday & Saturday | 10 a.m. - 2 p.m. & 5 - 10 p.m.
Shuttle service is suspended on the following dates:
- Thanksgiving Day | November 23
- Christmas Day | December 25
- The AV shuttle travels up to 15 mph on the pre-defined route.
- The climate-controlled AV shuttle holds eight (8) passengers or five (5) passengers and one (1) wheelchair passenger. The shuttle is Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) accessible and has an onboard securement system and ramp.
- Internal announcements are delivered in visual and audible formats in English and Spanish.