The City of Altamonte Springs uses a new semi-automatic waste collection system. We have shifted from complete manual pickup, which uses the strength of our employees to lift garbage cans, to a semi-automated service. The system uses cart tippers, eliminating the need for heavy lifting. Our trucks require that trash carts (i.e., bins, cans, etc.) have a front-side lift bar with wheels which allows the tippers to grab the cart.
What You Need to Know
- The City provides all solid waste customers with free 64-gallon refuse carts (large garbage can with wheels) that work with the system. These carts can hold up to five 13-gallon trash bags.
- The refuse carts are stamped with the City logo and a serial number assigned to each residence.
- If you do not need the larger cart, you can use an existing smaller container as long as it has a manufacturer installed lift bar and wheels. Call (407) 571-8607 to schedule pick up for the large City-provided cart.
Trash Collection Guidelines
- Carts cannot be used for yard waste or recycling to prevent mixing with refuse or household garbage. Mixed wastes are not collected.
- A maximum of two carts/containers will be collected each collection day. Carts cannot exceed 64-gallons and must be equipped with wheels and a lift bar compatible with cart tippers.
- All items must be placed inside carts with the lid closed for collection.
Carts must be placed curbside before 7 a.m. on collection day. Residents must remove containers no later than 7 p.m. on collection day. Carts must not obstruct drainage or walkways.
- The City will continue to collect bear-resistant containers that meet Interagency Grizzly Bear Committee (IGBC) standards. For more information about the Urban Bear Management Area requirements, please visit Seminole County's urban bear management information page.