- City Clerk
- New Business Owner Guide
New Business Owner Guide
To conduct business in the City of Altamonte Springs, all business must have a Business Tax Receipt for the City and the County, which may be obtained from the City Clerk Department.
Permits for signs, building alterations, etc. may be obtained through the City’s Building Fire & Safety Division at the City Hall Annex building. For information, call (407) 571-8435.
Corporations must register with the Secretary of State. Out-of-state corporations using their corporate name in the State of Florida must also register. For information, call 1-850-488-9000. Register online at www.SunBiz.org.
Fictitious Name Registrations are filed with the State of Florida. For information or clarification of exemption guidelines, call 1-850-488-9000. Fictitious Name Registration packets are available at the City of Altamonte Springs City Clerk Department located at 202 Newburyport Ave. Register online at www.SunBiz.org.
State Sales Tax numbers are obtained through the Florida Department of Revenue located at 400 W. Robinson St., Ste. N301 (Hurston North Tower), Orlando, FL 32801. Their phone number is (407) 660-5830.
Federal Identification Numbers (FEIN) are issued through the Internal Revenue Service. For more information, call 1-800-829-1040.
Businesses serving or selling food products must be inspected by the Department of Agriculture & Consumer Services (1-800-435-7352) or by the Division of Hotels & Restaurants (1-850-487-1395) prior to obtaining a Business Tax Receipt.
Home occupations have certain restrictions, and are regulated through the City’s Land Development Code.
Worker’s Compensation information can be obtained by calling the Orlando office of the Department of Labor at (407) 245-0896.
Licensing requirement information can be obtained by calling the responsible state agency:
- Department of Business & Professional Regulation – 1-850-487-1395
- Department of Agriculture & Consumer Services – 1-800-435-7352
- Agency for Health Care Administration – 1-850-488-0595
- Division of Hotels & Restaurants – 1-850-487-1395
- Department of Financial Services – (407) 245-0760, Insurance 1-850-413-3137 or Banking & Mortgage 1-850-410-9601
- Department of Children & Families – (407) 245-0470
- Department of Highway Safety & Motor Vehicles – 1-850-617-3003
- Division of Alcoholic Beverages and Tobacco – (407) 245-0785
Small business development seminars are available through:
- Seminole Community College in Sanford – (407) 321-3495
- University of Central Florida – (407) 823-5554
- Orlando SCORE – (407) 420-4844
3201 E. Colonial Dr., Fashion Square Mall, Suite A-20
Orlando, FL, 32803 | www.Orlando.SCORE.org
Business Tax Receipts
All City of Altamonte Springs Business Tax Receipts expire September 30 of each year and may be renewed by mail or in person at the City Clerk Department at 202 Newburyport Ave. Renewals received on or after October 1 are considered delinquent and subject to delinquent penalty fees.
The City Clerk Department must be notified of any change of business status, including, but not limited to:
- Business closing
- Change of ownership (copy of bill of sale required)
- Change of location
- Change of business name
- Change of mailing address
Be advised, renewal notices are not forwarded in the case of address change. For additional information, contact the City Clerk at (407) 571-8116.