Refuse / Recycling Collection
Due to budgetary constraints, the City of Altamonte Springs must make some changes to the refuse/recycling collection program.
In the future , there will be NO refuse or recycling collected on the following days:
- Labor Day
- Thanksgiving Day
- Martin Luther King, Jr. Day
- Memorial Day
- Independence Day
- Christmas Day
- New Years Day
Refuse / recycling pickups occurring on these holidays will be collected on the next regularly scheduled collection day. Solid Waste Calendar
The City of Altamonte Springs provides refuse collection to single family residential homes located within its City limits. Refuse collection is limited to household trash and putrescible garbage. Our sanitation crews pride themselves on their customer service. Providing quality service while maintaining low costs is our priority.
The refuse collection schedule is as follows:
- Those living West of I-4: Monday and Thursday.
- Those living East of I-4: Tuesday and Friday
Following the guidelines, as set forth in the City of Altamonte Springs Code of Ordinances, Chapter 17, will head off any difficulties that may arise with the collection of the refuse as Sanitation employees are instructed to follow these guidelines. The following are some general questions that may be asked and the answers to those questions:
- Where do I place my refuse for collection? Containers should be placed at the curb. Do NOT obstruct drainage ways and walkways.
- When do I put out my refuse? Containers MUST be curbside, not later than 7:00 a.m., Containers may not be out earlier than 5:00 p.m. the day prior to collection and must be removed from the curb not later than 7:00 p.m. on collection days.
- What kind of containers do I use? Any standard garbage container (plastic or metal) that do NOT exceed 32 gallons can be used. Refuse containers shall be in good condition. Containers can not exceed 40 pounds in weight. Plastic bags and cardboard boxes may be used if:
- They are secured to prevent spillage or breakage when lifted.
- They are kept dry in rainy weather.
- Exactly what will be collected? Normal household garbage generated from your residential property only. Animal waste, ashes, sawdust, and similar materials will only be collected if securely bagged. Please note: In order to avoid worker injury, hot coals must be completely cooled before placing curbside. Also, broken glass and/or other sharp objects should be placed in cans.
- What will NOT be collected? Any materials from commercial activities. Dirt, sod, rocks, furniture, large appliances, major household renovation material, construction debris, live ammunition, medical wastes and hazardous wastes.
- Harzardous Waste include, but are not limited to: paints, fluorescent light bulbs, tires, flammables, propane tanks, acids, pesticides & herbicides, motor oils, pool chemicals and their containers. Hazardous Waste Disposal
Spring Cleanup will continue as scheduled, April 1-12, 2013.
Questions? Please call Sanitation @ 407-571-8607 or 407-571-8611