Building / Fire Safety
The Building / Fire Safety Division is part of the Growth Management Department. The division’s core functions include:
- Code Enforcement
- Existing occupancy fire safety inspections
- Fire Investigations
- New construction building code and fire code enforcement including:
- Permitting (see Forms and Checklists)
- Plan Reviews
This Division is an ISO Class 2 Building Department placing it in the top 7% of building departments in the State of Florida.
Building / Fire Permits & Inspections
The Building / Fire Safety Division provides permitting, plan reviews and inspection services within the city for compliance with the state mandated Florida Fire Prevention and Building Codes. Application of these codes ensures that Altamonte Springs is a sustainable community and that public safety of our citizens and visitors is a priority.
Inspectors are certified and licensed in multi-disciplines for both building trades and fire inspection services.
Permits are required to construct, enlarge, alter, demolish, or change the occupancy of a building. The following types of permits are available online to licensed contractors:
- Fire Alarm System - Less than 20 fire alarm initiating / notification devices. Note: This only applies to the addition, relocation, or deletion to an existing system.
- Fire Sprinkler System - Less than 30 sprinkler heads. Note: This only applies to the addition, relocation, or deletion to an existing system.
- Electrical - Plans have been pre-reviewed under a previously issued building permit.
- Stand-Alone Electrical - Not requiring plans.
- Mechanical - Plans have been pre-reviewed under a previously issued building permit.
- Stand-Alone Mechanical - Not requiring plans.
- Plumbing - Plans have been pre-reviewed under a previously issued building permit.
- Stand-alone Plumbing - Not requiring plans.
Note: Fire alarm and fire sprinkler online permits require two sets of as-built drawings to be available on-site for the inspector at the time of inspection. All permits issued by Altamonte Springs are available for permit status research, inspection requests, and re-inspection fee payment.
How to Apply For Permits & Schedule Inspections
The City has launched a new online permit system. Applications for new permits must be submitted through CSS. Information on existing permits and inspections is still available in Permit Manager.
- Apply for a new permit or schedule an inspection on a new permit: Customer Self Service (CSS) Portal
- Call to schedule inspections on permits issued before October 2, 2018: (407) 571-8435
For information on how to create an user account, apply for permits, request inspections and pay invoices, view the following guides: